St. John's Junior School (also known as the "Lake School") was built in 1937. It replaced an older school (est. 1908) which was situated near the present site. The new building housed two separate establishments, a mixed Infant School and a Senior Girls' School. In 1994 the Senior Girls were amalgamated with St. John's Senior Boys' school in Ballybough Street, leaving the Junior children occupying the building in its present status.
St. John's Junior is commonly referred to as "The Lake School". In the 18th century the area in which the school is situated was prone to frequent flooding from a mill stream which no longer exists, and this is probably the origin of the name "The Lake."
We strive to better our students through educational experiences both in and out of the classroom. St John's Junior School aims to create a haven where students feel safe to tackle their fears and accomplish all of their goals. We offer a variety of services designed to help students be the best version of themselves, while having fun along the way.
Enriching Our Students' Lives
St. John’s Junior School is a Junior Co-educational, Catholic primary school which strives to provide a well-ordered, caring happy and secure atmosphere where the intellectual, spiritual, physical, moral and cultural needs are identified and addressed.
While St. John's Junior School is a school with a Catholic ethos, it has due recognition for all other religions.
St. John's Junior School will strive to promote, both individually and collectively, the professional and personal development of teachers thorough staff development programmes.
St. John's Junior School will encourage the involvement of parents through home/school contacts and through their involvement in the Parents’ Association.
St. John's Junior School will endeavour to enhance the self-esteem of everyone in the school community and to encourage in them the idea of being responsible.
St. John's Junior School will promote gender equity amongst the teachers and pupils.
Déanfaimid iarracht Gaeilge a labhairt.
The school motto is: Mol an Óige is Tiocfaidh sí