Home School Community Liason Scheme

The Home School Community Liaison Coordinator is Mark Bergin. The position of HSCL coordinator is shared between St. John’s Junior School and St. John’s Senior School. Mark can be contacted at any time during school hours on 087-2400431 or by email at hscl@stjohnsthelake.ie

‘Pupils spend 85 per cent of their waking time up to the age of sixteen in the home and in the community; the remaining 15 per cent is spent in school. This fact underlines the significant role that parents play as the prime educators of their children.’ (HSCL from Vision to Best Practice)​

The Home School Community Liaison Scheme (HSCL) was established in 1990 and it aims to increase the link between home and school by encouraging parents to become more involved in their children’s education. It also aims to empower parents so that they, as the primary educators of their children, will be positive role models, encouraging the educational and personal development of their children. The purpose of this partnership is to enhance pupils’ learning opportunities and to promote their retention in the education system.

Activities undertaken by the HSCL coordinator include:​

  • Home visits

  • Organisation of in-school activities and courses for parents

  • Advising and supporting parents on education-related issues

  • Encouraging co-operation between home, school and community interests

  • Promoting a stimulating home environment

  • Working with community groups and organisations relevant to the education welfare needs of children in the school.​​

We are very fortunate to have the Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) scheme here in our school. Together both parents and teachers alike promote partnership between home, school and the community to ensure that every child participates fully in the school scheme. The following are some of the initiatives which parents have been involved in:

  • Maths for Fun

  • Visits to the library

  • Making storysacks

  • Making maths packs (activities/games parents can take home)

  • Intercultural wall hanging

  • Making percussion instruments and taking part in a series of drumming workshops

  • Community courses

  • Storytime

  • Christmas Cookery

  • Interactive wall hanging of St. John’s Parish